Things To Do - Sherwood's Country House
Victorian Country House In The Agatha Mountains
Birding enthusiasts will hopefully be able to see a large variety including ‘Giant Pied Pigmy Woodland & Malachite Kingfishers, Purple Crested Loerie, several types of Woodpecker, Sunbirds, Oriole and even Raptors including Giant Eagle Owl, Wood Owl, Martial Eagle, Black Eagle and several Kestrels and Hawks.
Small game in the area include Bushpig, Bushbuck, Porcupine, Meerkat, Civet, Spotted Genet, Vervet Monkeys, a rare sighting of two Samango Monkeys and perhaps you may hear the bark of Charma Baboon close by.
The Agatha forestry nearby has both cultivated and indigenous forests in a mountain setting and ends on the bottom of the valley where you find a beautiful stretch of ‘Bob’s River’ with refreshing crystal clear water ,large rock pools and waterfalls.
You can take a scenic gravel surfaced drive along the same route. Spend a day lazing and swimming at the pool, admiring the spectacular ‘Wolkberg Mountains’ - Northern part of the Drakensberg Mountains.
Take tea in the gazebo or enjoy playing table games.
Something adventurous is the canopy tours adventure sports situated in the Georges Valley mountain.
Enjoy walking among our magnificent avocado trees on our avocado farm.
Our trees are in full production during our winter months, June to September, in which all the picking takes place.
A List of Walking Routes Around The Sherwood's Country House Grounds
- A walk to King’s Walden garden. You may either walk from Sherwood’s or take a short drive to the entrance and then spend a good few hours strolling and admiring the spectacular views through the formal garden which forms part of the 'botanical route' in the area.
- A 'bird walk' through cultured and indigenous forest around the dam at Sherwood’s.
- An 'evening stroll' around our main house, for a breathtaking country view of the milky way.
What to do in The Tzaneen Region
A tourist information map is available at reception ,filled with information on places to visit in and around our Letaba area, including:
Historical & archeological Sites, Nature and wild life, Roadside stalls and tea gardens.
- Agatha Crocodile Ranch
- Cheerio Gardens
- Cheetah Project – Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre
- Hans Merensky Nature Reserve -Tsonga Kraal Museum
- Kruger National Park – Phalaborwa Gate 120 km
- Khamai Reptile Park – Swadini
- Karosswerkers –community woman’s craft project
- 24 Degrees South
- Panarama Pedals – mountain bike tours through the plantations
- Tzaneen museum – Tours in German on request
- Modjadi Cycad forest and nursery
- Mholoholo animal conservation
- Debegeni water falls on the Magoebaskloof Pass
- Golf courses locally : Orange dene Golf Club (9 hole) / Tzaneen Country Club (18 hole)
- Hans Merensky Country Club (at Phalaborwa 18 hole)
- The picturesque town of Haenertsburg
- Magoebaskloof Adventures Canopy Tours (Bookings to be made before arrival)
- Wegraakbosch farm with locally produced organic cheeses and dairy